Data on the approximately 4500 dyestuffs kept in small bottles can be accessed by
manufacturer, product name or color index. The collection dates from 1916, the year the
Kiryuu School of Fabric Dyeing was founded, to 1937, with many items from Germany and
France. Several dyestuffs cannot be found at other universities and enterprises in Japan.
A collection of dyed fabric and pattern samples is currently being prepared as well.
The School of Fabric Dyeing became Kiryuu Industrial School in 1920, Kiryuu Industrial
Vocational School in 1944, and finally Gunma University Engineering Department in 1949. In
1988, the university's teaching staff, together with visiting professors and researchers
from other institutions, established the Regional Joint Research Center and a communal
research system between industry, education and government was founded.
The engineering department, which once studied textiles, has moved into high-tech
fields such as new materials, biotechnology, mecatronics, electronics, information
engineering and manufacturing systems.