Construction of the Japan Silk Company's office began March, 1903 and was completed 10
months later. The two story structure built with Otani granite has 32 tsubo or about 105
square meters of floor space in total and is the oldest stone building in the city.
Completely restored from the late 60's to the early 70's, until recently it was used as a
credit union office.
The building is very attractive with thick stone walls and matching wooden doors,
staircases, and trim. In November, 1991, the first and second floors were used for an
exhibition of national treasures and original paintings of historical buildings. The event
was sponsored by the City Board of Education and other parties and supported by the Agency
for Cultural Affairs.