The remains of the Japan Textile Company hydroelectric power station are preserved on the
east side of the Public Welfare Hospital. The company, founded by a group headed by
Kichiemon Saba in 1888, was established near present-day City Hall. From twisted thread,
the firm produced 'Junko Orihime' brand cloth in a through process consisting of dyeing,
spinning and finishing.
In the firm's heyday, 47,700 rolls of cloth were produced yearly. When the Kiryuu
Electric Company was founded in 1894, the hydroelectric power station was built and its
surplus power used to light the city. In 1947 the generator was shut down. Both the power
station and the textile company's brick gateposts were designated historical ruins by the
city in 1969.